As part of our T195596: WMSE e-mail restructure we should also investigate switching internal mailing list over to GSuite group. Currently we have three active internal/closed e-mail lists for staff, board and staff+board handled by mailman. (for all lists see T198457: Look over usage of @styrelse.wiklimedia.se mailing lists)
With our switch to GSuite it is worth investigating if these could be swapped over to closed groups instead. The benefit is that access would be directly controlled from one place and more strongly tied to the users @wikimedia.se accounts whilst also potentially removing our need for maintaining the mailman instance.
We should look into what, if any, features are gained/lost as well as if there are any other factors which may affect the choice.
- One system less to maintain
- Guaranteed overlap between Drive-access and e-mail list access
- Security - Our mailman instance is unlikely to be as secure as GSuite [both mailman and the OS of the server are outdated]
- FLOSS - This is one of the FLOSS tools that we currently use. That said not switching would not mean dropping GSuite.
- Google would gain access to the communications
- Access - GSuite admins would gain access to board communications. Server admins (actually a larger group) have however had access to these already. This can be handled by T196334: Assign appropriate admin roles in Google Workspace
- Quarantined messages - non-list members can e-mail the list after an admin has approved the message.
- Archives - While the archives are closed they can be browsed by current members. (It also looks possible to migrate the old archives.)
- Exportability/Compatibility - Would it be as easy to switch back/to a third option in the future?
- It looks possible to download the google groups contents as mbox (how mailman archives are stored) using e.g. google-group-crawler