Page MenuHomePhabricator

Clean up traces of archived extensions and skins
Open, Needs TriagePublic

Description

Over the years, more than a thousand extensions have been archived on Mediawiki.org. Doubtless for many of them, this archival was done without concern for other traces related to the extensions; T190671: Identify archived extensions on mediawiki.org but not on Gerrit (and viceversa) and T201250: Archive the LilyPond extension are examples of a specific type of leftover and of an incompletely archived extension, respectively; the latter task shows that even extensions or skins which were archived years ago (Extension:LilyPond was archived on Mediawiki.org in 2013) can still have lingering traces. We should track all of these down and clean them up.

Note that this ticket is not specifically about extensions/skins archived on Mediawiki.org, but also about any archived in Gerrit, etc.

For reference, these are the currently known possible leftovers we would care about and could address (see also the archival checklist):

  • Documentation on mediawiki.org.
  • Wikidata items.
  • Entries in mediawiki/extensions/mediawiki/skins (along with in .gitmodules).
  • Tests in integration/config (zuul/layout.yaml).
  • Messages on translatewiki.net (groups/MediaWiki/mediawiki-extensions.txt/groups/MediaWiki/mediawiki-skins.txt).
  • Manifest and other references in mediawiki/vagrant.
  • Integration stuff on https://doc.wikimedia.org/cover-extensions/ if present (requires Continuous-Integration-Infrastructure shell user to delete directly from the server)
  • Phabricator project or open tasks.
  • Diffusion repository.
  • Gerrit repository.
  • GitHub mirror.

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptAug 5 2018, 3:01 AM

This feels very related to T212994 about SVN extensions to be archived.

Dinoguy1000 updated the task description. (Show Details)Dec 16 2019, 1:04 AM
Pppery added a subscriber: Pppery.Mar 29 2020, 3:24 AM

I wrote and ran some scripts to check for inconsistencies, and found:

  1. The overwhelming majority of all archived extension items (over 900) have no end time qualifier, although some have the description "archived MediaWiki extension"
  2. There are several extensions that were archived only on-wiki and not anywhere else. (See the Gerrit subtask for a full list of those I found and filed tasks for)
  3. There were 3 extensions (ReorderParserPhases, ConventionExtension, WebCache) that were archived on Gerrit but not MediaWiki.org, which I manually archived there. A lot of other results showed up in my script, but they were false positives due to extensions moving from Gerrit to GitHub, being renamed, or Gerrit extensions that never existed on MediaWiki.org being created and archived)
  4. I didn't find any extentions that were archived in any of the non-wiki places I checked (translatewiki, CI, gerrit) and not all of them.
  5. None of the extensions on https://doc.wikimedia.org/cover-extensions/ are archived as of this moment
  6. I didn't check Phabricator tasks, Diffusion repositories, and GitHub mirrors since I couldn't easily figure out how to query them automatically

Other traces to take note of not shown on the list above:

  1. Links to the extension's (now-archived) page on MediaWiki.org. While some of these are OK ("this extension is based on", for example), others need to be removed.
  2. Subpages of the extension's page on MediaWiki.org