Cca since beginning of June 2018, I noticed increased amount of incompletely uploaded digital photograhps in Commons. The upload become interrupted when the image reach 5 MB. The phenomenon affect files by various users and from various types of cameras. Probably, the users have undamaged images from the camers and the damage arrives with the upload process.
- i noticed this fail mostly at new users
- the problem affects commonly a whole set of photographs uploaded by the user
- all damaged files I found were uploaded with a tag "Cross-wiki upload from cs.wikipedia.org" but this can be caused by the fact that I found them sorting uncategorized photos with Czech-language description. Howerer, this Romanian photo from 4 November 2017 can be a similar case (Cross-wiki upload from ro.wikipedia.org).
Revealed cases (which were not reuploaded yet) are included in Category:Incomplete_digital_photographs.
Discussed at Commons:Village_pump#Increased_occurence_of_incomplete_digital_photographs (02 August 2018).
The cause can be
- in some improperly set limit parameter of MediaWiki in Wikipedia or Commons
- in some file size limit of the internet connection or communication software used by the uploaders
- something else?
Some preventive measures should be applied.