Steps to reproduce:
- In VE standalone, edit the document '<hr>x'. Observe the model selection is Linear 3-3.
- Click to the left of the horizontal rule. Observe:
- the model selection changes to Linear 0-0;
- the block slug above the horizontal rule activates; and
- the DOM selection (see window.getSelection().focusNode) is the paste target.
- Click again in the same place. Observe the model selection remains Linear 0-0.
Expected behaviour: The DOM selection is the paste target
Observed behaviour: The DOM selection is the 'Insert paragraph' text node inside the block slug
This is because the code to move the DOM selection out of a block slug and into the paste target is in ve.dm.Surface#onModelSelect, which only gets triggered if the model selection has changed.