- There's a checkbox that, when turned off, enables the 2003 wikitext editor.
- But not if you have a different checkbox ticked, which silently overrides the first checkbox.
- Except if you have the Beta Feature enabled for the 2017 wikitext editor (VisualEditor's wikitext mode), which silently overrides all of that.
This is unnecessarily difficult. People should be able to figure out which editing environment you're using, just by looking at one spot in the prefs page. It should be something more like a dropdown menu or a list of radio buttons, that says something like this:
- No toolbar [2003 wikitext editor]
- Enhanced toolbar [2010 wikitext editor]
- VisualEditor's wikitext mode [2017 wikitext editor]
and you just pick one (and you can't pick several at the same time).
- T133287: Split up editor preferences into VE and source parts
- T32795: "Show edit toolbar" preference is confusing (including some suggestions)