Page MenuHomePhabricator

Copyediting CE Insights report
Closed, ResolvedPublic


What is the problem?

I need some support copyediting CE Insights reports that are being published publicly to meta. Five of Eleven reports have been published on meta; the remaining will be published this week. The reports can be found here:

How can we help you?

It would be great to have some help copyediting the reports for our audiences. If time allows, adding translation mark up.

What does success look like?

Reports that are well-written and easy to read for community audiences.

What is your deadline?

Ideally, Friday August 31.

ReadyFirst passReviewedMarked for translation
Home page (Executive summary)✔ (Sherry)
Anti-Harassment Tools✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Communications Department✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Community Resources✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Legal Department✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Learning & Evaluation✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Technical Collaboration✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Community Engagement Department✔ (Chris)
Community Programs✔ (Benoît)✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Contributors✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Partnerships & Global Reach✔ (Chris & Sherry)
Support & Safety✔ (Chris)✔ (Chris & Sherry)

Event Timeline

Acknowledged, as per our chat.

Appreciate you stepping in, WAID. I believe @CKoerner_WMF will try and support you as much as possible today.

We are going to focus on copyediting for the time being.
When it comes to marking for translation, although the code seems to be "saner" than last year :) ,
I would like to recommend that we don't look into that right now.
Maybe we could consider marking the executive summary when it's ready, but I don't know about each single team's report.

@egalvezwmf we'll ping you with direct questions on GChat, to speed up things. :)

Elitre triaged this task as High priority.Aug 29 2018, 3:35 PM

@Whatamidoing-WMF @CKoerner_WMF please leave a note here when you need to stop working on the pages, so that I can see who can take it from there next. Thank you so much.

We're about a third done. Edward is still posting pages. If it's been touched by one of us (as of {{CURRRENTTIME}}), then it's done.

Between @Whatamidoing-WMF and I we've touched the following pages. I'm done with my day. I'll check in tomorrow for the rest.

Anti-Harassment Tools
Communications Department
Community Resources
Legal Department
Learning & Evaluation
Technical Collaboration

We have not touched:

Community Engagement Department
Community Programs
Partnerships & Global Reach
Support & Safety

With the exception of Anti-Harassment Tools, there are still sections to be written. "Most useful findings" and "Next steps" in particular. We'll circle back on those upon their addition.

@egalvezwmf feel free to reach out if any of my edits don't make sense. :)

I finished Partnerships & Global Reach.

We've run through everything that's been posted. We're still waiting for the pages about the Community Engagement Department, Community Programs, and Support & Safety questions.

I reviewed the additions to the following reports (mostly in the "Most useful results" sections that have been added):

Technical Collaboration
Community Resources
Learning & Evaluation

I have given a first pass of the following:

Support and Safety

I have not reviewed Community Programs.

Edward has asked not to work on the following reports just yet as much of the content will be changing.

I'm done for the day.

Trizek-WMF added a subscriber: Trizek-WMF.

I've created a table to see what is done or not.

Elitre lowered the priority of this task from High to Medium.Sep 7 2018, 4:20 PM

Thanks Benoit. I'm lowering priority because I understand some of the pages aren't really final yet.

Whatamidoing-WMF updated the task description. (Show Details)

Copyediting is (finally) done. If we want this marked for translation, then perhaps that should be a separate task (or re-open and re-assign this one).

BTW, this was about 20,000 words all together. For future planning, it would be reasonably fair to expect that copyediting that amount of text will take 15 to 20 hours.

Also, although reviewing images was mostly out of scope because we couldn't edit them ourselves, we did flag some typos in images to Edward, who had to correct them. Many tables were presented as images, and it would have been better to turn those into wikitext/HTML tables, so that everyone could read them (also, then we could have fixed the typos ourselves, instead of having Edward upload new images).

Satisfaction survey reply received.