CommTech is building an Event Tool for organizers of things like editathons. Metrics are a big focus. Among the things these users want to track is retention: What % of new users introduced to the wikis via an editathon continue to edit?
Sati has requested that we track retention over an extended period: she’s requesting 7-day, 30-day, 60-day, 6 month, 1 year. The general idea makes sense, but the problem is that no one knows how to define any of those figures, or if we should be using somewhat different intervals.
We’d like to use standard definitions if we can, so that we can compare event retention to, say, general retention on the relevant wiki.
What we need
- Descriptions of standard definitions for at least a small set of short- and long-term retention metrics.
- Please be clear about how the different metrics are related (e.g., are all users who are retained in the third month also necessarily retained in the second? Or does the second-month definition include only those who make an edit between 30 and 60 days?)
- If available, links to existing queries that are being used to derive some of these figures.
If no standards have been decided on, then a best-guess solution will have to do.
- It would be great to have best-guess definitions for 2 short-term (e.g., 1-week and 2nd month) and one long-term (e.g., 6 months?) by the beginning of October and
- Final decisions for those by the end of October?