- Name of tool/project: Extension:Blackout
- Project home page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Blackout
- Name of team requesting review: -
- Primary contact: Given that no maintainers are listed on mediawiki.org, I'm available for it (@Daimona)
- Target date for deployment: -
- Link to code repository / patchset: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/extensions/Blackout/+/444363/ (under review)
Description of the tool/project
This extension allows to completely prevent site access, especially intended for protests like the one on EU copyright directive. Enabling the blackout requires a change to a configuration variable, while other things (including deactivation) can be handled on-wiki via a page in the MediaWiki namespace.
Description of how the tool will be used at WMF
To (carefully) use at WMF discretion if they want to enforce a serverside blackout. Enabling the extension will always be under WMF's control per above.
Has this project been reviewed before?
Sounds like it hasn't, see parent task.
Working test environment
Install as usual extension, use the patch under review (linked above) instead of master since that's the subject of the review.