Page MenuHomePhabricator

Dropdown menus are misaligned too far away from buttons on mediawiki.org
Closed, InvalidPublic

Description

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Go to any article on mediawiki.org
  2. Open the visual editor
  3. Click "Insert", or any of the other buttons that open dropdowns

Expected behaviour:

  • The top of the dropdown is aligned with the bottom of the button

Actual behaviour:

  • The top of the dropdown is too low, making the menu float somewhat

Event Timeline

Deskana created this task.Sep 6 2018, 10:21 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptSep 6 2018, 10:21 PM
Deskana triaged this task as High priority.Sep 6 2018, 10:21 PM

Not impacting production yet...

I can't reproduce.

Deskana renamed this task from Dropdown menus are misaligned too far away from buttons on mediawiki.org and the beta cluster to Dropdown menus are misaligned too far away from buttons on mediawiki.org.Sep 7 2018, 2:56 AM
Deskana updated the task description. (Show Details)

I can't reproduce this on the beta cluster any more (or perhaps I never could and simply got my tabs confused?) but I can still reproduce on mediawiki.org.

Schnark added a subscriber: Schnark.Sep 7 2018, 9:06 AM

If you're using a zoom level > 100%, then this is a duplicate of T199752: Toolbar menu positioning broken when zoom level > 100% (and if you aren't, it might be related anyway).

Deskana added a subscriber: Ryasmeen.EditedSep 7 2018, 3:54 PM

If you're using a zoom level > 100%, then this is a duplicate of T199752: Toolbar menu positioning broken when zoom level > 100% (and if you aren't, it might be related anyway).

I'm at 100% zoom, so it's not the same issue, but as you say they could be related.

@Ryasmeen Your help diagnosing this would be very much appreciated.

I can reproduce @Schnark's issue (with 110% zoom), but not with 100% zoom. So I tried to debug that one, and I'm happy to report that it was caused by a jQuery bug (https://github.com/jquery/jquery/issues/3808) and has been just fixed by rMWdbbb45eadb18: Update jQuery from v3.2.1 to v3.3.1. The fix is live on the Beta Cluster, but not on production wikis.

@Deskana If you can reproduce on mediawiki.org but not on the Beta Cluster, then maybe this is the same issue? I guess maybe it could be caused by some operating system DPI settings or something?

Deskana changed the task status from Open to Stalled.Sep 13 2018, 10:58 PM

This issue is still present for me, but I can't reproduce the issue in Safari or in an incognito window. I think the onus is on me to try to diagnose exactly what it is about my setup that is causing this issue...

I tried to reproduce this too on different browsers, not happening for me.

JTannerWMF added a subscriber: JTannerWMF.

Hey @Deskana we are going to move this to stalled for you to further explore it and determine if you would like to close it out.

Deskana closed this task as Invalid.Sep 27 2018, 3:07 PM

I can't reproduce this any more, and given that nobody else could reproduce this issue either, I assume it was something silly on my end.