The MediaWiki action API is a web service that allows access to some wiki-features like authentication, page operations, and search. It can provide meta information about the wiki and the logged-in user. Several Wikimedia projects make use of this API.
As of now, there are 128 pages on the Action API on MediaWiki.org. We did a little research on the state of the docs and documented a few problems and recommendations for next steps. One of the issues we decided to address was inconsistency. For example, some pages had the automated API docs embedded; some didn’t, some pages had code samples, some didn’t, etc.
As a first step, we designed a documentation template and used it to re-write top 20 viewed pages of the API. But, we realized we cannot improve 128 pages all by ourselves, and for that we need your help! :-) As part of Outreachy, the goal of this project is to improve the top 30 viewed pages using the documentation template.
Wiki editing, Templates, creating and managing translatable pages, Wikimedia Phabricator tool, basic Python programming. Note: some or all of these skills would be nice to have but not required. Come with a desire to learn and that be all!
- How to use or write Templates https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates
- Page translation https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example
- Editing wiki pages https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Editing
- Python basics https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/
- Learn how to use Phabricator https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help