Rubric as requested by documentation:
A succinct problem statement to give context for why the review was initiated.
UserMerge is an extension that allows merging two accounts. While very useful it doesn't work on Wikimedia, or better said, we are adviced not to use it. In order to merge two user accounts, all edits and log data gets merged. Wikimedia's active development of new extensions, API and other features, merging an user account is no longer just merging edits and logs. UserMerge has not been kept up with the whole updates and usage of this extension is likely to cause incomplete or broken user account merges that will need to be manually fixed. UserMerge does also perform heavy DB queries/full table scans that have caused huge replag in the past when usage was attempted at dewiki and commonswiki (see data below). No local or global group is currently granted the 'usermerge' permission, making the extension also unused.
Entry in Developers/Maintainers with:
@Legoktm is listed as maintainer.
Maintainer (non-WMF team)
Number, severity, and age of known and confirmed security issues
Was it a cause of production outages or incidents? List them.
- T104686: Unbreak/finish global merge of Yuvipanda into YuviPanda + has a summary of the issues found. T104686#3490006 indicates that UserMerge is not FlaggedRevs friendly.
- T156584: Full UserMerge support for WMF wikis is/was an attempt to have UserMerge overhauled and usable again. At T156584#4203549 and T156584#4557145 you can find more reasons why I'm filing this task.
Does it have sufficient hardware resources for now and the near future (to take into account expected usage growth)?
I can't answer that question with the information I have.
Is it a frequent cause of monitoring alerts that need action, and are they addressed timely and appropriately?
No, because we don't use it as it's unreliable and/or cause huge DB load.
When it was first deployed to Wikimedia production
2012 in rOMWC57e3970888acd367e835eacb6d40556af0e57767
Usage statistics based on audience(s) served
Changes committed in last 1, 3, 6, and 12 months
- All merged changes NOT being L10n-bot or Libraryupgrader
- Search for project:mediawiki/extensions/UserMerge status:merged -owner:"L10n-bot" -owner:"Libraryupgrader" branch:master on gerrit if the link above doesn't work.
- on 2018 we had 14 changes in total.
Reliance on outdated platforms (e.g. operating systems)
Number and age of open bugs
We currently have 21 open Tasks. The oldest one is from year 2016.
Number of known dependencies?
Is there a replacement/alternative for the feature? Is there a plan for a replacement?
If there's no plans or resources or people interested in keeping up with the required maintenance of this extension to work on the projects, my recomendation is to undeploy UserMerge from Wikimedia Production.