Page MenuHomePhabricator

redirect wikipedia.gr to el.wikipedia.org
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

wikipedia.gr domain had been squatted for more than a decade, displaying a copy of greek wikipedia, it had enough traffic and there are still links to it. (I have seen people in workshops typing "www.wikipedia.gr")
It has finally been acquired by the WMF.
Creating a redirect from wikipedia.gr and www.wikipedia.gr to el.wikipedia.org would be helpful for those readers that do not know the exact url of wikipedia and expect that the greek wikipedia would have a .gr domain. Greek is the only official language of Greece and mother language of 98% of the population (and understood by the rest 2%).

Several other domains such as https://wikisource.gr already redirect to the corresponding projects (el.wikisource.org)

Event Timeline

geraki created this task.Sep 21 2018, 11:28 AM
Restricted Application added a project: Traffic. · View Herald TranscriptSep 21 2018, 11:28 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald Transcript
jijiki added a subscriber: jijiki.Sep 21 2018, 11:42 AM
Restricted Application added a project: Operations. · View Herald TranscriptSep 21 2018, 11:42 AM
jijiki claimed this task.Sep 21 2018, 12:42 PM
jijiki added a project: User-jijiki.

Change 462532 had a related patch set uploaded (by Effie Mouzeli; owner: Effie Mouzeli):
[operations/dns@master] Added zone wikisource.gr

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462532

Change 462532 merged by Effie Mouzeli:
[operations/dns@master] Added zone wikisource.gr

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462532

Change 462652 had a related patch set uploaded (by Effie Mouzeli; owner: Effie Mouzeli):
[operations/puppet@production] mediawiki: Added redirect for wikisource.gr

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462652

Change 462652 merged by Effie Mouzeli:
[operations/puppet@production] mediawiki: Added redirect for wikisource.gr

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462652

Change 462713 had a related patch set uploaded (by Effie Mouzeli; owner: Effie Mouzeli):
[operations/puppet@production] mediawiki: Added redirect for wikimedia.gr

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462713

Change 462713 merged by Effie Mouzeli:
[operations/puppet@production] mediawiki: Added redirect for wikimedia.gr

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462713

Change 462717 had a related patch set uploaded (by Effie Mouzeli; owner: Effie Mouzeli):
[operations/puppet@production] mediawiki: tabs vs spaces in redirects.dat

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462717

Change 462717 merged by Effie Mouzeli:
[operations/puppet@production] mediawiki: tabs vs spaces in redirects.dat

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462717

jijiki closed this task as Resolved.EditedSep 26 2018, 7:52 PM

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462730/

Please note that although we have enabled *.wikipedia.gr for misguided users, we suggest to not actively enable users to use it for security/privacy reasons. Please view T133548 for details on how this will be fixed in the future