Pick an API page to work on and add your Phabricator username next to it in the relevant column
Getting started instructions
- Set up Git on your computer and a Github account if you don’t already have one. Learn how to use both.
- Set up a MediaWiki account if you don’t already have one.
- Read the project description thoroughly and the MediaWiki Action API too.
- Pick an action page from the table above that you would like to review and improve. Add your name next to the project in the “Work in progress” column. You will need to be logged into Phabricator and subscribed to the task and only then you will be able to edit the task description
- Create a page in your Sandbox (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:your_username/Sandbox/API:pagename) and do not make edits directly to the API pages.
- Fill it with the template content which is in here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Documentation_template (copy and paste). We encourage you to stick to the template if for some reason you feel the urge to add or remove any section, discuss with your mentors.
- For your reference, read a couple recent API pages that we modified using the new template: API:Geosearch, API:Parsing_wikitext
- If you write any sample code for the API page, consider contributing it to this repository: https://github.com/srish/MediaWiki_Action_API_Code_Samples. That way, once we complete this project, we may merge the repo with our organization repo, keeping your contributions intact.
- If you are feeling a bit ambitious plus the action module you are working on is complicated enough, and its concept could be well explained via a demo app, then build one!
- When you are done, ping your mentors and get some feedback on your work.
- Incorporate mentors feedback. Once you get a green signal, coordinate with them in getting your changes integrated with the actual page on MediaWiki.org.
- Finally, add your name next to the project in the “Done” column in the table above.
- How to use or write Templates https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates
- Page translation https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example
- Editing wiki pages https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Editing
- Python basics https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/
- Learn how to use Phabricator https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help