Page MenuHomePhabricator

Punjabi letters in SVG files have unnecessary spacing in their corresponding PNG thumbnails
Open, MediumPublic

Description

There is unnecessary spacing within different letters while rendering in different sizes:

Current wrong output - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Types_of_Sentences-pa.svg/1199px-Types_of_Sentences-pa.svg.png

(For example the word - ਸਧਾਰਨ is rendered as ਸਧਾਰ ਨ)

Expected output - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Types_of_Sentences-pa.


Duplicate of T36947 & T142908
Reported Upstream: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/librsvg/-/issues/730 ; fixed in librsvg 2.51.2 and 2.50.6

Event Timeline

Jayprakash12345 added a subscriber: Amire80.
Jayprakash12345 added a subscriber: Jayprakash12345.

In my System, It is seeing as ਸ ਧਾ ਰ ਨ

I found that there is no problem in full size rendering.

This seems to be about the thumbnails in PNG format and not about the original file in SVG format itself. For future reference, please follow https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug - thanks!

Aklapper renamed this task from Punjabi letters having unnecessary spacing while rendering SVGs in Wikimedia Commons to Punjabi letters in SVG files have unnecessary spacing in their corresponding PNG thumbnails.Sep 29 2018, 4:10 PM
Aklapper updated the task description. (Show Details)

@satdeep_gill: Please only set a task assignee if the assignee has explicitly agreed before. (Not sure in this case; maybe the field was unintentionally reset.) Thanks!

ਸੰਯੁਕਤ ਵਾਕ

The same is happening to any text rendering of librsvg, because librsvg is going more worse and more worse instead of better: T36947. So I do mean this report is a dupe.

because librsvg is going more worse and more worse instead of better

@Perhelion: If you find specific issues, please file bug reports. While frustration is sometimes understandable, generalized statements don't help anyone.

We should test this when we upgrade librsvg

imho a duplicate of T36947, which is not a subtask of Updating librsvg, but maybe a subtask of reevaluating svg-render T40010

I tested https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:T205776.svg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="800" height="200" viewBox="0 0 5 1">
 <text x="0" y="1" font-family="DejaVu Sans" font-size="1">ਸਧਾਰਨ ਵਾਕ</text>
</svg>
svglibrsvg2.40 (WikiMedia)librsvg 2.50 (Fedora 34)librsvg 2.51 (Fedora 34)resvg (Fedora 34)inkscape (Fedora 34)batik (Fedora 34)
file

JoKalliauer added a project: Upstream.
JoKalliauer updated the task description. (Show Details)
JoKalliauer moved this task from Backlog to Reported Upstream on the Upstream board.

"Incorrect text spacing when transform is not 1:1" will be fixed in librsvg 2.51.2 (and librsvg 2.50.6, once backported) according to https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/librsvg/-/issues/730 (thanks to JoKalliauer for investigation and upstreaming).