Session Themes and Topics
- Theme: Enabling our engineers, staff, and volunteers to achieve our goals easier and faster
- Topic: Front-end Tooling, Development Tooling and Process
- Christoph Jauera @WMDE-Fisch
- Zakaria Oudrhiri
What works and what doesn’t work in our current front-end development stack -- where should we focus our attention in order to streamline contributions from both staff and volunteers?
Questions to answer during this session
|Question||Significance: Why is this question important? What is blocked by it remaining unanswered?|
|In our current front-end development stack and processes, what works? What doesn’t work?||This will allow developers to talk about their own experiences with our front-end development process and stack and will provide guidance about what needs to be improved.|
|What front-end components or processes can be renovated? Which ones need to be torn down and fully rebuilt?||This question provides guidance to both the degree of pain that various components cause, as well as the degree to which these components vary from what would be considered standard practice. The more inclination to tear something down, the more implied value in doing so.|
|What front-end interfaces, components or libraries would you need to make your next tool or extension rock?||This question will provide input on missing infrastructure and tools in the front-end stack and might bring up issues with existing tools in question.|
Facilitator and Scribe notes
- Define session scope, clarify desired outcomes, present agenda
- Discuss Focus Areas
- Discuss and Adjust. ''Note that we are not trying to come to a final agreement, we are just prioritizing and assigning responsibilities!''
- For each proposition [add etherpad link here]
- Decides whether there is (mostly) agreement or disagreement and the proposition(s).
- Decide whether there is more need for discussion on the topic, and how urgent or important that is.
- Identify any open questions that need answering from others, and from who (product, ops, etc)
- Decides who will drive the further discussion/decision process (ie: a four month deadline)
- Discuss additional strategy questions [add etherpad link here]. For each question:
- Decide whether it is considered important.
- Discuss who should answer it.
- Decide who will follow up on it.
- Wrap up
Session Leaders please:
- Add more details to this task description.
- Coordinate any pre-event discussions (here on Phab, IRC, email, hangout, etc).
- Outline the plan for discussing this topic at the event.
- Optionally, include what it will not try to solve.
- Update this task with summaries of any pre-event discussions.
- Include ways for people not attending to be involved in discussions before the event and afterwards.