This task tracks setting up a Kafka cluster dedicated to logging purposes. Given the considerations in T205873: Investigate Kafka main cluster usage for logging pipeline said cluster will initially coexist on Logstash hosts now and on dedicated hardware in the future.
Outline of steps:
- Puppetization for Kafka brokers, in a dedicated profile
- Setup TLS certificates for the brokers
- Deploy Kafka brokers to logstash elasticsearch data hosts
- Decide on the granularity of topics (one single topic? one per cluster?) and the number of partitions
- Setup Logstash input for Kafka logging (i.e. consumers) with TLS
- Setup rsyslog output for Kafka logging (i.e. producers) with TLS and make it opt-in