Let's instrument the share button (T181195) to verify users need this functionality.
We can share the following metrics:
- clickthrough rate of the Share button
- abandonment rate (defined as the percentage of share button clicks, i.e. openings of the share menu, that are not followed by the selection of a sharing app from that menu)
- the number of pageviews from shared links (by adding a wprov URL parameter)
Verify EventLogging events
- Visit beta cluster on a phone which supports share (e.g. Android+Chrome)
- Enable beta mode
- Visit https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Spain
- Verify an event is sent on pageload with action="shownShareButton", pageTitle="Spain", namespaceId=0. Note the value of pageToken
- Click share link
- Verify an event is sent with action="clickShareButton" and the same values for pageTitle, namespaceId and pageToken as above.
- Select an app from the sharing menu (e.g. the clipboard), to have the browser pass the link to that app
- Verify an event is sent with action="SharedToApp" and the same values for pageTitle, namespaceId and pageToken as above.
Verify provenance parameter
Check that the link passed to the sharing app looks like this: https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Spain?wprov=mfsw1