This task will track the installation, setup, and transition to our new (WMF owned) PDU towers in our racks in ulsfo.
This work is scheduled for Tuesday, December 18th, at 11:00-12:00 Pacific.
Please note that datacenter vendor policies do not allow customers to pull floor tiles to (de)energize PDU towers. All sub-floor work must be done by DigitalRealty engineers. Due to that, this will be a multi-step process.
- - install ST B PDUs in each cabinet. This leaves the APC B PDUs unsecured (see photos in T209101#4811939), so only tower B of the servertechs will be installed in advance. This ensures we don't have 2 unsecured PDUs banging around in the cabinet (when the doors open, they move due to all the power cables.)
- - schedule DR engineering/tech time to work with @RobH onsite for 1-2 hours and migrate entire racks at that time with the following steps:
- - DR tech energizes ST B PDUs in each rack (de-energizing APC tower B in each rack)
- - @RobH moves all B side connections from APC to ST B PDUs in each cabinet
- - @RobH removes APC B PDUs from cabinets to return to DR
- - @RobH unsecures APC A PDUs in each cabinet and mounts ST PDU tower A in each cabinet
- - DR tech energizes ST A PDUs in each rack (de-energizing APC tower B in each rack)
- - @RobH moves all A side connections from APC to ST B PDUs in each cabinet
- - @RobH removes APC A PDUs from cabinets to return to DR
Remaining steps can be completed without DR support:
- - add brackets to ps1 in each cabinet
- - balance power between towers
- - label and normalize each server's power ports (so if server X in is port 1 on one tower, ensure its in matching port 1 on the redundant tower) and update PDU software labels
- - update netbox software port assignments to reflect pdu software
- - add pdus into monitoring
- - connect ps1-23 to scs