Page MenuHomePhabricator

On mobile, template context menu doesn't show the name of the template
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

On mobile, template context menu doesn't show the name of the template – depending on your screen size, the description is cut off after the "Generated from:" label. On the smallest devices even that label is partially cut off.

Event Timeline

matmarex created this task.Nov 15 2018, 5:40 PM
Restricted Application added a project: VisualEditor. · View Herald TranscriptNov 15 2018, 5:40 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald Transcript

I suggest that we just remove that prefix… I think it was meant to better explain the situation where one "transclusion" is generated from multiple "templates" (e.g. Col-begin + Col-break + Col-end), but I think it is not very useful even in that case.

BeforeAfter

We could keep that prefix on desktop, or just remove it there as well for consistency and simplicity:

BeforeAfter

Change 473821 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@master] ve.ui.MWTransclusionContextItem: Remove "Generated from" prefix from description

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/473821

I think the desktop version should have more verbose description, in some cases the template name itself could read like a message and so could be misleading without some context showing it is just a template name, e.g.


It would also be nice to show templatedata descriptions in the context when available. Our original designs had even more descriptive labels, which would probably require extra templatedata: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VisualEditor_context_designs_2015.png

Compare with the dialog, which doesn't show the word "Template" anywhere:

With this design the context would look more like this:

beforeafter

...with some sort of fallback for templates without templatedata descriptions.

I think the desktop version should have more verbose description, in some cases the template name itself could read like a message and so could be misleading without some context showing it is just a template name (…)

I don't really feel like this would be an issue. I think the "Template" heading provides enough context?

If it was a problem, I would rather solve it by making the template names links to their description pages, similar to our handling of media.

It would also be nice to show templatedata descriptions in the context when available. Our original designs had even more descriptive labels, which would probably require extra templatedata: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VisualEditor_context_designs_2015.png

Seems cute, but out of scope? D:

Compare with the dialog, which doesn't show the word "Template" anywhere:

I've always found this a bit weird, to be honest. The actual template name is repeated anyway just below the dialog head.

Esanders assigned this task to matmarex.Jan 18 2019, 2:19 PM

Change 473821 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@master] ve.ui.MWTransclusionContextItem: Remove "Generated from" prefix from description (mobile)

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/473821

Ryasmeen edited projects, added Verified; removed Patch-For-Review.Feb 5 2019, 10:37 PM
Ryasmeen moved this task from QA to Product owner review on the VisualEditor (Current work) board.

Change 488580 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@master] ve.ui.MWTransclusionContextItem: Use the right class name in override

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/488580

Change 488580 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@master] ve.ui.MWTransclusionContextItem: Use the right class name in override

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/488580

Change 488592 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@wmf/1.33.0-wmf.16] ve.ui.MWTransclusionContextItem: Use the right class name in override

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/488592

Change 488592 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@wmf/1.33.0-wmf.16] ve.ui.MWTransclusionContextItem: Use the right class name in override

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/488592

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2019-02-07T00:53:08Z] <twentyafterfour@deploy1001> Synchronized php-1.33.0-wmf.16/extensions/VisualEditor/: SWAT f89e12fc466d2c51343d9815c70a0b4602acc333 to fix bug: T209610 (duration: 00m 55s)

@Pginer-WMF Note that in the final version of the patch, we only removed the "Generated from:" prefix on mobile VE, and left it unchanged on desktop. If you want to pursue getting rid of it on desktop as well (which I support, but you'll have to convince @Esanders), please reopen T199923 :)

ppelberg closed this task as Resolved.Mar 7 2019, 11:43 PM