Wikidocumentaries can display in any recognised language by adding a language parameter to the url. The interface can be translated to any language in Translatewiki.net, and those languages which have over 25% translated messages, can show up in the Wikidocumentaries languages menu.
The data about languages for the menu are stored in a local file. The file includes information about the language code, which is mapped to another code if necessary, and the language autonym, the name displayed in the language menu.
- A link in an article changes UI language when clicked > should not change user language
- Address bar language is not in sync with the actual language
- RTL support is needed for some languages, see T229753
- The fonts do not support all languages, see T229753
- Not all autonyms are satisfactory > better source for them may be needed, see T230115 for a new query
- 3-letter language codes are truncated in the router
- The router fails altogether with language codes with a hyphen, see T230115
- It is unclear if there are discrepancies between resources in the use of language codes > needs to be explored, see T230115 (case roa-tara. How do we know which Wikipedia to map it to?)
- Make it possible to add variables to translatable texts. See this plugin https://kazupon.github.io/vue-i18n/guide/interpolation.html
Notes about languages in the Wikibase (to be expanded)
- ULS extension is needed
- Language listing of basic properties is dependent on ULS
- ULS is dependent on geoip