So.. MediaWiki:Edittools is VERY old. By default you need to copy paste characters.. Nobody likes doing that and it's actually easier to do via most operating systems these days in that case.
It also adds quite some bytes to the page T13130: Provide a preference to disable the CharInsert tool, to save users' bandwidth.
I think it is time to let go of it.... I think we should:
- remove the default copy pasteable chars from core
- adapt charinsert extension to dynamically generate them from mediawiki.language/specialcharacters.json
- add sections and dropdown selector like most wikis actually employ
- add localstorage for dropdown like many wikis employ
- make the toc and sections for characters configurable via json messages