The Wikimania team has decided to look into alternatives to Wikis and EasyChair to manage Wikimania submissions.
They have identified Indico as a strong contender.
Indico is made to handle the whole lifecycle of any conference: submissions & review, scheduling, room booking, etc.
Nice to haves for submission process:
- everything extractable
- Submission management (ideally publicly viewable)
- Review committee (sub groups, chairs, private comments, triage/scoring, approval/rejection)
- Communication with author stored in System
Other elements that would be beneficial but not part of the primary task for this:
- hosting of the slides/resources for presentations
- Room management
- Registation management (potentially even PayPal etc integration for payment processing)
- Use on the day in each room to display the relevant slides etc...
Potential for future use as a purpose built event management software that is available for other events throughout the movement to utilise, and for wikimanias in the future. Rather than the current situation of creating whole new wiki instances or cumbersome templates on Meta for each separate event.