As an experienced editor, I would like the ability to reach the history of an article quicker, so that I can monitor the changes made to the article.
The history icon will appear in the toolbar for AMC users. This is (hopefully) a comprehensive overview of possible toolbar states:
|default||+download||+map gadget||+download, +map gadget||user page|
Future design considerations
These ideas aren't fully flushed out, but there are a few things we may want to aim for in the future:
- the ability to specify primary/secondary icons, so that more important actions don't get displaced by less important ones
- the ability to specify the sequence of the first and last item in the toolbar, such that we can always know that Languages shows up first, and Edit shows up last (not counting the "More" action).
- the ability to add labels next to icons for larger screens
- the ability to do something special with the languages icon, e.g. include a label even on smaller screens
|special languages treatment|
- Add history link to toolbar of pages in all namespaces where History exists (when user is in AMC mode)
- Clicking history will navigate to the mobile version of the history page
- In AMC mode the three right-most icons should always be: download, watch, history, edit (in that order, with edit being the furthest right)
- In non-AMC mode the two right-most icons should always be: download, watch, edit (in that order, with edit being the furthest right)
- The history link should be feature flagged a la wgMinervaTalkAtTop - it should be possible to turn it on and off in AMC mode. (To be confirmed by developer)
- There should be no visible changes to non-AMC mode (at least for now) to avoid problems with cached HTML.
Test on the beta cluster.
Testing Cached HTML: Our changes went live in wmf/1.33.0-wmf.20, so we'll want to test against HTML in wmf19 and 20.
Test on the beta cluster:
- Test on AMC (mobile)
- Test on AMC Tablet
- Test on non-AMC tablet
Test cached HTML and check for an absence of visual regresions
Test with map gadget on
@ovasileva QA of integration in the map gadget will require a QA task of its own. We need to first enable the maps gadget on the beta cluster by copying across https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition to https://en.wikipedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadgets-definition#admin - I am not an admin of beta cluster so we'll need help from Release Engineering to do this.
With Map gadget enabled:
- Test on AMC (mobile) (AC1)
- Test on AMC Tablet (AC2)
- Test on non-AMC tablet (AC3)
Sign off steps
- Did we accrue any tech debt here that we need to pay off? If so create a card to make sure this gets addressed.
- Create signoff task for map gadget with descoped QA instructions above
- Document inconsistent behavior for history link (link appears for pages do not exist)
QA Results: Production