Per this Twitter thread, this Commons Upload Wizard user runs into an error with the date being incompatible with the chosen license:
- I use the @WikiCommons upload wizard but I think the date setting on it is wrong (it disallows things from 1923).
- If I use the wizard & have a photo taken in 1923 & add a full date (i.e. Jan 3, 1923) the wizard tells me that date is incompatible with free licensing. If I just say "1923" it's good. In reality on 1/1 this year, works published in 1923 should be OK/free. Thanks!
- It is possible I am misunderstanding the message. Let me know if screenshots or more explication would be helpful. I think it's just a remnant and wasn't updated for the new copyright situation. Citation: https://copyright.cornell.edu/publicdomain
After having selected this file is not my own work > The copyright has definitely expired in the USA > First published in the United States before 1924 in "Release rights" step.
- In describe step: it must not be possible to select a date in 1924 or after, and an error message is displayed
- In describe step: it must be possible to select a date in 1923 or prior