@Aklapper Hey, I am Nikita, an Outreachy applicant, I am applying for "Documentation improvements to the ~20 top 70 most viewed MediaWiki Action API pages on-wiki" project. Since all of the microtasks are taken and I have already worked on my tasks. @srishakatux has suggested us to look for any tasks here "https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/987/". Can I work on this task?
Hi and welcome @Nikitrain! This task feels pretty big to me, but maybe I overcomplicate things. :)
We have a few short videos on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help and https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management already but they just cover one specific aspect in Phab. This task is more about creating one video that is longer and covers all basics how to use Phabricator, in one video.
Do you have experience in making videos and experience with Phabricator and its functionality?
Potential items related to this task:
- Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyGJiUIMGpw again how to make good videos :P
- Choose and install video editing software (cross-platform?), probably PiTiVi?
- Learn how to create screencasts (fullscreen vs browser window, lower screen resolution first or zoom in the browser zoom so it's possible to read things?)
- Increase the mouse pointer size (under Settings > Universal Access > Seeing > Cursor Size)
- Is there a desktop setting that allows creating a visual circle or such whenever a mouse click is performed, to make it clear to the person viewing the final video? (for the GNOME desktop: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/issues/586 and old https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=783389 - related branch at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/commits/add-locate-pointer )
- When to use a screencast vs a static screenshot in the video to show/explain something?
- In the video editing software, learn how to split raw videos, how to move around raw videos on the tracks
- Learn how to use subtitles, maybe external, maybe even instead of any audio? (PiTiVi text overlay video)
- Highlight certain areas via some square as a PNG file with a transparent alpha channel, as an overlay to fade in and fade out? Or in the video editing software, maybe learn how to zoom in to a certain area?
- In the video editing software, maybe learn how to resize rendered area to have space at the bottom for subtitles? (Record 16x9 but make video 4x3? :P ) - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/pitivi/issues/2360 ?
- Sort out in which codec and resolution to render the final video
- Sort out where to store (and share) raw videos, to allow others to remix / update?
- Find a way how to locally set up Phabricator to look like Wikimedia's production instance on phabricator.wikimedia.org, as we likely do not want to "play" / manipulate real data
- Write a script what to cover and show in that video; cover what's in https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Introduction-to-Phabricator-WikiCon-2016.pdf and probably some more things from https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help and https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Project_management
- Either have a good microphone, or play with Audacity's noise reduction after some test recordings
@Aklapper First off, thank you for all the explanation on this task! and what a great explanation of the task! This indeed is a complicated task :) .I didn't realize this task is this complicated. But I am positive about this.
I have some experience in making videos and I have some experience with phabricator.
I can improve my skills by the resources suggested by you.
I need some help with this. How can I locally set up Phabricator.
Also my machine have i5, 7th gen and AMD Radeon (It isn't much powerful) graphics card. Is that enough for this task?
This project seems big which might require even a month or more with my university course work (correct me if I am wrong) and I have 1st midterms now (they will end on 12 March), 2nd midterms (theory +practical) in April and finals (theory +practical) in May that's why I might not have that kind of time. What can you suggest about that?
@Aklapper I have played around a little with Phabricator locally, set up using MediaWiki vagrant roles.
As for video editing, I've referred to a few resources on screencasting including a handbook and the WTD video mentioned in your first comment, though I haven't yet created a complete screencast.
Taking inspiration from the same comment, I'd proposed updating WikiProject Screencast in GSoD and was hoping to create a screencast for MediaWiki before proceeding onto the WikiProject.
Srishti has asked me to check with you about this particular screencast saying you might have plans of working on it. :)