Presently when users are creating their account on Special:CreateAccount, there isn't a checkbox to opt-in to receiving the specific types of engagement emails (see T213986) being proposed by the Growth team.
Increase emailability by allowing users to opt-in to receiving engagement emails during the account creation process.
- Notes of the design and verbiage:
- Ideally, this checkbox is only conditionally shown once a valid email is entered in the email field.
- The opt-in message must clearly delineate that opting-in for email marketing purposes is separate and optional to the supplying the email for account recovery.
- Per GDPR rules, opting in must be explicitly selected by the user (i.e., checkbox must unchecked by default).
- Per GDPR rules, the opt-in message should enable the user to know the types of communication they will receive (for example, the donation email opt-in text links to the WMF donor policy which let's explains how their info is used to provide personal messages, etc)
- The proposed design assume a supplementary 'Editor growth policy' outlining details communication and use of personal data will need to be created.
Draft opt-in message:
|Checkbox label||Email me about editing on Wikipedia.|
|Assistive text||By signing up, I agree to share my information with the Wikimedia Foundation, the nonprofit organization that hosts Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, and its service providers pursuant to the [[ URL | Editor growth policy ]].|
|Option A: Below email||Option B: Below CAPTCHA|