The MediaWiki action API is a web service that allows access to some wiki-features like authentication, page operations, and search. It can provide meta information about the wiki and the logged-in user. Several Wikimedia projects make use of this API.
As of now, there are ~128 pages on the Action API on MediaWiki.org. Developer-Advocacy did a little research on the state of the docs and documented a few problems and recommendations for the next steps. One of the issues we decided to address was inconsistency. For example, some pages had the automated API docs embedded; some didn’t, some pages had code samples, some didn’t, etc. As a first step, we designed a documentation template and used it to re-write top 20 viewed pages of the API. But, we realized we could not improve 128 pages all by ourselves, and opened it to new Wikimedia contributors for help :-) Our Outreachy intern @Martyav put in a lot of good work in this and improved the next ~20 viewed pages and brought this project in good shape!
- Design and embed a tabbed window on the API pages (like on the right here https://www.twilio.com/docs/usage/api), possibly via a template or Gadget.
- Generate code samples for modules that received documentation improvements in Phase 1 and Phase 2: T198916: Investigate and improve MediaWiki Action API documentation
- Write sample code for API modules for which code generator might not work.
- Document the code samples on-wiki
- (OPTIONAL) Develop one or two demo apps around the use of Action APIs
- delete.py |@notnotparas|
- edit.py |@Wisdomanthoni |
- get_my_watchlist_feed.py |@Wisdomanthoni |
- login.py |@Sumanth699|
- move.py |@notnotparas|
- parse_wikitable.py |@Adarshpatel509 |
- purge_namespace_pages.py |@Abhism9450 |
- purge_two_pages.py |@Abhism9450 |
- userrights.py | @Adarshpatel509 |
Instructions: Anyone can work on Task 1. Only one person gets to work on Task 2 or 3 at a time. Before working on any of the items in Task 2 and 3, put your username next to it, so that others are aware. Contribute sample code to the repository: https://github.com/wikimedia/MediaWiki-Action-API-Code-Samples.
Get in touch with mentors
Ask a question in the topic Phab:T215681 Develop code samples for API modules in JS/PHP under https://wikimedia.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/180873-gsoc19-outreachy18
- How to use or write Templates https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates
- Page translation https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example
- Editing wiki pages https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Editing
- Learn how to use Phabricator https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help