Page MenuHomePhabricator

Caption "Edit" button is not shown on file page
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Very strange, the edit button is just not there:

In Chrome, not logged in. On this page:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pelecanus_conspicillatus_pair_swimming.jpg

Event Timeline

Abit created this task.Mar 1 2019, 12:19 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptMar 1 2019, 12:19 AM
Abit updated the task description. (Show Details)Mar 1 2019, 12:20 AM
Ramsey-WMF added a subscriber: matthiasmullie.

Confirmed, although all is fine if you are logged in. This bug does not appear on Labs or Beta. Assigning to @matthiasmullie for now. Looks like something that went out on the train went weird on production (again).

Ramsey-WMF triaged this task as High priority.Mar 1 2019, 12:27 AM
Ramsey-WMF moved this task from Untriaged to Next up on the Multimedia board.
Ramsey-WMF added subscribers: Cparle, MarkTraceur.

I can see the edit button on that page (and on some random other samples) just fine. Does this still happen for anyone?

Yes. On desktop Chrome, on two different computers, I still see this problem when not logged in, or when viewing in Incognito mode. I just checked on mobile Safari in private mode and it works though.

Very strange.

Tried logged out (regular & incognito mode) in Safari, Firefox & Chrome, and I see the button everywhere. On mobile too.
Can you open JS console and see if you get JS errors?

Here's my JS console:

Ha78na added a subscriber: Ha78na.Mar 1 2019, 3:05 PM

Change 494204 had a related patch set uploaded (by Matthias Mullie; owner: Matthias Mullie):
[mediawiki/extensions/WikibaseMediaInfo@master] Backward compatibility with previous config format

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/494204

The edit button has miraculously returned for me on the Pelican file, using both computers. :)

Seems like this could be closed since it's not occurring now, hard to test, etc.

Ramsey-WMF closed this task as Resolved.Mar 13 2019, 7:01 PM

I did another round of tests this morning and could not find an instance of the problem. Closing until we see evidence it's still a problem lurking in the shadows.

Change 494204 abandoned by Matthias Mullie:
Backward compatibility with previous config format

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/494204