If a user creates a Wikimedia account and verifies their email address, their preferences are automatically configured to allow direct email from other users.
These emails do not include links in the footer to adjust any preferences. The user may want to disable emails from a specific user, if the emails are undesired.
|English Wikipedia||Default MediaWiki|
- Extend the email footer to include links to configure preferences
- Consider using a new message that is not customizable so local wikis cannot override the links.
- Clicking the links will take the user to a special confirmation page with text to explain what will happen and a button to click to confirm the action:
- Rough design: T220163}) (note that this task is only about adding the first checkbox. second one in
- If Echo is disabled or one of the lists are disabled, only one option is shown (still a checkbox)
- The link should be:
- Manage email preferences for $USERNAME
- The link takes the user to the page with the checkboxes checked according to their current preferences, and the "Confirm" button disabled. (This is the same whether or not the user to be muted was already muted.)
- After save, the checkbox and save button go away and a confirmation message displays: User:ABC has been muted. See all muted users in Special:Preferences. - the link goes to Special:Preferences on the wiki they are on.
- If user is logged-out, the user is taken to the login page before redirecting them to Special:Mute.
- The special page is behind a feature flag.
Message: Please select your mute preferences for User:ABC.
- Un-Mute: When a user gets to the page and the "target user" IS already in their email blacklist.
Same as above. Keep the checkbox checked but the "Submit" button disabled to indicate the user is already muted. If the user unchecks the checkbox, the button gets enabled and on click, the user is unmuted.
- Success: After clicking confirm. Either to mute or un-mute a user
Replace with: Your mute preferences have been successfully updated. See all muted users in Special:Preferences. - the link goes to Special:Preferences on the wiki they are on.
- Invalid User: If the username provided on the URL is not valid or if no username is provided
Replace with: The username requested could not be found. Return to Main Page.
- wgEnableUserEmailBlacklist config set to false: this will only happen if the user tries to access the page directly since the links to it should not be visible.
With $wgEnableUserEmailBlacklist = false, the message is: Muting users from sending you emails is not enabled. Return to Main Page.
With $wgEnableUserEmailBlacklist = true, but email not confirmed, the message is: You must confirm your email address before you can mute a user. You may do so from Special:Preferences