If a user creates a Wikimedia account and verifies their email address, their preferences are automatically configured to allow direct email from other users.
These emails do not include links in the footer to adjust any preferences. The user may want to disable emails from a specific user, if the emails are undesired.
|English Wikipedia||Default MediaWiki|
- Extend the email footer to include links to configure preferences
- Consider using a new message that is not customizable so local wikis cannot override the links.
- Clicking the links will take the user to a special confirmation page with text to explain what will happen and a button to click to confirm the action:
- Rough design: T220163}) (note that this task is only about adding the first checkbox. second one in
- If Echo is disabled or one of the lists are disabled, only one option is shown (still a checkbox)
- The link should be:
- Manage email preferences for $USERNAME
- The link takes the user to the special page (Special:Mute) with the Mute emails from this user already checked. The user is added to the mute list once they hit save. If the user is already muted on that option, the button is checked and the "Submit" button is disabled. It gets re-enabled if the state of the checkbox(es) change.
- After save, the checkbox and save button go away and a confirmation message displays: User:ABC has been muted. See all muted users in Special:Preferences. - the link goes to Special:Preferences on the wiki they are on.
- If user is logged-out, the user is taken to the login page before redirecting them to Special:Mute.
- The special page is behind a feature flag.
Keep the messaging from mock (F28688373) with only one checkbox if the other option is not enabled.
- Un-Mute: When a user gets to the page and the "target user" IS already in their email blacklist.
Same as above. Keep the checkbox checked but the "Submit" button disabled to indicate the user is already muted. If the user unchecks the checkbox, the button gets enabled and on click, the user is unmuted.
- Success: After clicking confirm. Either to mute or un-mute a user
Replace with: Your mute preferences have been successfully updated. See all muted users in Special:Preferences. - the link goes to Special:Preferences on the wiki they are on.
- Invalid User: If the username provided on the URL is not valid or if no username is provided
Replace with: The username requested could not be found. Return to Main Page.
- wgEnableUserEmailBlacklist config set to false: this will only happen if the user tries to access the page directly since the links to it should not be visible.
Replace with: Your mute preferences are disabled. You may enable them in Special:Preferences. Return to Main Page.