So far, we have not had a spike to find out what exactly would be doable to realize a solution for gendered categories. This ticket aims to do so.
- In languages that change nouns accordung to gender (e.g. for occupations), categories for men and women are labeled correctly.
- Potentially also: In languages that have dialects, articles in that dialect show the dialect version of the category (e.g. Erdapfel instead of potato category for an article with an Austrian topic)
Imagined outcome of the spike
- We have probed into different solutions, and can roughly estimate effort, complexity, risks and potential other benefits we would win
- What dependencies do we create?
- Would the community fully commit to the solution or would this be a “case by case” decision?
- How could we make it possible to search for all gendered terms?
- Plus, but not required: Would this also change the display of the category page itself?
- How internationalizable is the feature?
- Would it be possible to deal with other gender types, not just male/femaie?
- Would there be any side effects?