Name: Jay Prakash
IRC nickname on Freenode: Jayprakash12345
Gmail ID: email@example.com
GitHub profile: https://github.com/Jayprakash-SE/
Typical working hours: 5:00 PM to 1:00 AM UTC +5:30
- This project will be about developing sample code in two or more programming languages to demonstrate the use of MediaWiki Action API modules. In this project, I will design and embed a tabbed window on the API pages, write a code generator and document the sample code on API modules pages and also create a demo app.
Have you contacted your mentors already?
- Yes, I have contacted with @srishakatux
I am a 1st-year student of Bachelor of Technology (Computer Science & Engineering). My University is Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University. I have programming experiences for more than 4 years as I had computer science as my stream during High-School.
How did You hear about this Program ?
- I heard about this program in the Wikimedia world during last year. when I kept my eyes on phabricator task for the new bug. then I eagerly researched on GSoC.
Will you have any other time commitments, such as school work, another job, planned vacation, etc, during the duration of the program?
- I have my end semester exam in the month of May. But it will end before the Coding officially begins!. So as of now, I do not have any other time commitments. And there will college vacation from the end of May to mid-August. So I will have enough time to give more time to this project.
We advise all candidates eligible for Google Summer of Code and Outreachy to apply for both programs. Are you planning to apply to both programs and, if so, with what organization(s)?
- I am only planning to apply for Google Summer of Code with Wikimedia Foundation.
What does making this project happen mean to you?
- It matters a lot to me. I am very enthused about the free open sources software. and want to support the FOSS. In here Wikimedia world, When I take MediaWiki Traning sessions as a resource person. Participants asked me about the GSoC program. The Real experience of GSoC can help me to express GSoC in depth. I want to help in the coordination of Wikimedia's GSoC Project from next. Maybe I will take part in GSoC next year as a mentor. Overall this project will boost my activity a lot in the Wikimedia world.
- Communication with my mentors will be done via Zulip during working hours.
- I will be online on IRC in my working hours ( 5:00 PM to 1:00 AM UTC +5:30) to collaborate with the mentors.
- I will be available in non-working hours through my Google mail account.
- I will use GitHub to publish and maintain sample codes for API modules and demo apps.
- Implementing PHP sample code generator
- Documenting the sample code
- Implementing the Tabbed windows
- Implementing the Web App demo
|May 6 to May 26||Community bonding period Get in touch with the assigned mentors, where I will clear any doubts regarding the project and finalize the tasks. And understand the whole project very well.|
|May 27 to June 1||Creating the PHP sample code generator, which will generate the PHP sample code through the modules.json|
|June 9 to June 15||Document the code samples on-wiki and fixing any potential bug.|
|June 16 to June 22||Reviewing the whole code base and fixing as many as the possible bug and Finalizing the code repository with the guidance of mentors.|
|June 23 to June 28||Phase I evaluation|
|June 28 to July 2||Designing and studying Implement ways of Tabbed windows within wiki page|
|July 3 to July 19||Implement Tabbed windows through templates, lua module or gadget|
|July 20 to July 22||Getting response from community & Finalizing the Tabbed windows|
|July 22 to July 26||Phase II evaluation|
|July 26 to August 10||Designing the Web App under the guidance of Mentors|
|August 11 to August 19||Implementing the Web App|
|August 19 to August 26||Getting the community response and finalize the Web App also fixing any potential bug.|
|August 26 to September 2||Final student evaluations|
About Web App
I picked the demo web app from the community demand, There is a long-standing requirement of Qr Code Generator in the Wiki Community. I have communicated with two wiki community member. @Bodhisattwa and @jayantanth who have 1+ lakhs edit on Wikimedia project. I have talked with Bodhisattwa. He said that PNG is not helpful. We need a QR code generator which can generate QR code in High-Quality SVG. And there is some project which will use the QR code like Wiki Knowledge Menu. The community eagerly wants a tool. That can generate the Qr Code of wiki URLs. This is also discussed in Wiki-India Mailing list. The details of the app can be found here
I joined the Wikimedia world in 2015 from English Wikipedia. And regularly contribute to my native wiki (Hindi Wikipedia) since 2016. But After knowing MediaWiki I shifted my contribution in MediaWiki Extensions Maintenance and development since June 2017. I had uploaded around 480 patches on Gerrit. Where 439 patches already merged in Wikimedia repository. I am Technical resource person of many offline Indic Wikimedia programs like MediaWiki Training 2018, Wiki Advance Training 2018, Jaipur Technical Training 2017, Bhopal Technical Training 2018, NSCET MediaWiki Training and VVIT MediaWiki Training 2019. My past activity can be tracked by following.
- MediaWiki Extensions Maintenance and Developer since 2017.
- Created two MediaWiki Extension
- Uploaded 480 patches on Gerrit. Where 439 patches already merged in Wikimedia repository.
- In MediaWiki Core, I have a great deal of experience in OOUI and HTMLForm. I converted the 100+ Special Page in OOUI.
- Create Two Flask based WebApp and deploy it on Toolsforge. Which is using by Indic wiki community a lot. and get 5000+ hit every month.
- Create 6 UserScripts for Indic wiki community. Some of them using the MediaWiki API. which is a part of this project.
- Maintain the Indic Wiki Gadgets and user scripts. See Indic-TechCom/Management for detailed Report.
- I am founder and lead developer of Indic-TechCom
- Technical Advisor for Indic wiki community and its vaiours event.
- Document the technical stuff on MediaWiki.org
- Organizer of MediaWiki Training 2018
- Technical resource person in Wiki Advance Training 2018
- Technical resource person in Jaipur Technical Training 2017
- Technical resource person Bhopal Technical Training 2018
- MediaWiki trainer in NSCET MediaWiki Training
- MediaWiki trainer in VVIT MediaWiki Training 2019
I have 18000+ global edits on Wikimedia project and having 1000+ Templates and Module edit experiences. I have created more than 100 templates. This experience will help a lot in creating a tabbed window on the API pages. which is a part of this project.