Extension:Echo provides a notification system for MediaWiki. This system includes a set of icons in the header that are updated with a count of notifications on page load. There is a long-standing request for the notifications count to update without requiring a page reload, similar to how Special:RecentChanges provides live updates.
This project will involve:
- updating the notifications count via a polling mechanism. There is some existing code (Echo/+/126201, Echo/+/239766) and discussion that can be used as a reference point.
- (optional) Writing the code and user preference to temporarily display the notification text using the mw.notify() library
- (optional) Providing a visual cue that the count has updated
- T200184: Add visible help link for Special:Notifications at the usual position
- T139779: Kill badgeicons.json and use OOUI's icons-alerts.json instead
- T213545: Increase readability of the Saved filters box
- T213279: mobile.special.watchlist.scripts/watchlist.js contains overly generic selectors
- T112872: Edit description link should be grey by default, not blue
- T177281: Mark redirects in RecentChanges and Watchlist
- T163394: Vector should mark language-neutral blockquotes