The start module contains several tasks that the newcomer can complete. Once complete, or even before then, the module is then taking up valuable space on the page that could be used elsewhere.
Therefore, this task is about providing the ability for the user to collapse the start module on desktop. The companion task for mobile is T232896. Specifically:
- The user only has the ability to collapse the start module once they have initiated the suggested edits module. Having initiated suggested edits, the user may then collapse the start module regardless of which other elements of the start module they have completed.
- If the user has initiated suggested edits, add an icon to the upper right of the start module that collapses it. Mockup here. Uses the OOUI "collapse" icon.
- When the user clicks it, the module collapses to a state that shows their username, a link to change their email, and a link to the tutorial.
- The icon changes to an "expand" icon in the same position in the right side of the module, allowing the user to open the module back up. They may use this icon to toggle the module open and closed.
- In the collapsed state, the "account creation" submodule and "tutorial" submodule always look the same regardless of their state, but the email module is different depending on its state. Mockup of each state here.
- Account creation module: avatar icon with username.
- Tutorial module: book icon with "Learn to edit: View a quick tutorial" where "quick tutorial" is the tutorial link.
- Email module:
- If no email added: email icon with link that says "Add email".
- If email unconfirmed: email icon with "Email: email@example.com (confirm)" where "confirm" is a red link to Special:ConfirmEmail.
- If email confirmed: email icon with "Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (change)" where "change" is a blue link to Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-personal-email.
- When the user has completed all the activities in the module, it collapses and no longer has the icon to open it back up. Mockup here.