We currently update pages dynamically after changes are saved on desktop using the HTML from the save success response. However, we don't do this on mobile. Instead, the page is reloaded. [i][ii]
There is an added complication that the returned HTML needs to be modified by MobileFrontend, but hopefully that can be done in ApiVisualEditorEdit.
The patches to resolve T219420 will ride the train that is scheduled to begin rolling out on 24 May 2022.
To create sufficient time for pre-deployment testing, the Editing Team plans to merge said patches on Tuesday, 17 May 2022
Beyond increasing the overall fluidity of the article "publishing moment," being able to dynamically update pages after an edit is published on mobile will enables us to offer people:
- New comment detection within the Reply Tool on mobile (T301929)
- Smoother experiences for publishing new comments and topics with DiscussionTools (T301839 + T301840)
This section currently contains ideas that were "loosely sketched" during the Editing Team's 16 Feb 2022 team meeting.
- Produce HTML with mobile transformations after saving
- (done in T266195)
- Set up interactive elements (collapsible sections, TOC, page issues boxes) again after loading new contents
- For the reply tool: Maybe add a ?expandall=1 hack so that we can just redirect to the #commentid and the browser will cope without any post-load JS?
Week of 4 April
- Non-user-facing API changes will be deployed via the train
- Editing Team will monitor feedback channels (e.g. Phabricator/Slack/etc.) for issues related to API change
Monday, 11 April
- Editing Team will review: 1) QA capacity and 2) the issues – if any – that have been filed over the preceding week
- Editing Team will decide when the user-facing changes will be deployed
- Note: once the user-facing changes are merged, the Editing Team will carry out the QA described in the ===QA section below.
- Save a page and ensure the published page appears and interacts as expected (section collapsing, table of contents collapsing)
- Open the editor again and ensure VE works as expected and the page saves again (check 1. again)
- Mobile content transformations (like collapsible sections or lead paragraph transform) failing to apply on mobile in some scenarios (e.g. in apps, when previewing in wikitext editor)
- Mobile content transformations unexpectedly applying on desktop in some scenarios (e.g. after saving in visual editor, when using non-default skin)
- The way(s) in which this functionality could be implemented, and the trade offs associated with them, are documented in the ===Approaches section above
- A decision is made about if/when the Editing Team will prioritize work on implementing one of the ===Approaches