The Android app's Suggested Edits feature requires an API that returns Commons image files (used on Wikipedias) meeting the following criteria:
- the image lacks a Wikibase caption in a specified language;
- the image has a Wikibase caption in language A but not language B.
The WikibaseCirrusSearch extension provides for searching the content of file captions (labels) while filtering by language. It would seem a short step (in the easier direction) to search for files based on the existence or nonexistence of labels in specified languages.
- Can WikibaseCirrusSearch easily be updated to support the above queries?
- Does CirrusSearch support returning random results rather than according to some particular ordering?
- Does CirrusSearch currently support searching for Commons files by usage on other wikis, or could it feasibly be updated to do so?
If this is viable, the existing description suggestions API should probably be moved over to use it as well.