Parts of this ticket have been broken out into subtasks.
Background & Hypothesis
The rationale for this module is based on our hypothesis that showing users different metrics to highlight the value/impact of their contributions will motivate them to make more contributions.
For users that have not yet made any contributions, this module would highlight to them the potential impact they could have by starting to edit.
The current version of the impact module only shows only pageviews and is somewhat clinical and matter-of-fact.
(A) Explore ways to enhance the current page views information so that it highlights the value of their contribution to users.
Ideas include but are not limited to:
- additional messaging explicitly calling out "Your contributions to free knowledge"
- more visually engaging representations of data
- expressing gratitude in a total cumulative count ("3500 people saw your 5 edits last week, Thank you for making Wikipedia better!" ).
- showing more impact figures upfront in the mobile overview (currently the summary view has a single pageviews total)
(B) Explore other metrics and motivational contribution information, such as:
- Badges/Rewards when certain milestones are achieved (substantially more frequent than the 10^x frequency of Echo notification milestones) - note: we may wish to include this on a structured user profile instead/as well (see T229052)
- Thanks or WikiLove received - some research about the benefit of Thanks here https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Understanding_thanks
- Details about frequency or "streaks" - e.g., "You've edited 3 days in a row", or a "You've made 5 edits this month"
- Segmenting contribution information differently to highlight the different ways to contribute - for example showing that "7 edits were on desktop, 0 on mobile" highlights the different platforms on which contributions can be made
(C) Explore ways to make the impact module more relevant and actionable for those with no contributions as yet. Broken into two subtasks:
- T223219 - Short term solution before the newcomer tasks module - Provide a more personalized, explanatory onboarding message to newcomers with 0 edits about the value of editing.
- T223221 - Explore ways to make the impact module more actionable for those with no contributions once the task recommendations module is introduced to the homepage.
(D) Highlight to users that asking questions on the Help desk and mentor talk pages also count as contributions
Broken out into subtask T223127
Design explorations in progress:
Original task description
Some feedback we received on the impact module is that the module is really clinical and matter-of-fact: it just tells you the numbers on your pageviews. We are showing these numbers to the user because we want them to be proud and excited, and so maybe we should think about how to design the module such that we signal to them to have that pride.
For instance, the module could say something like, "You are spreading free knowledge!" or it could have an award-like image or icon.