This is a follow-up to T201339: Cannot access user contributions when following red link to user page on mobile, although not as critical.
Steps to reproduce:
- Go to this old version of the article "Reformhaus Bacher" on de.m.wikipedia.org
- Click on the user's name linked in red in the box above the content:
Note that in this case, one can reach the talk page and user contributions using the links provided right after the user name. Nevertheless, it's an inconsistency.
Minerva shows link on the user pages to pages about that user e.g. contributions, file uploads, talk page. In Vector with the editor open you can see the reset of the interface and easily switch from edit mode to view mode, however in mobile, the editor takes up the full screen. While the editor can and should have a way to exit the editor to view the page, the behaviour of turning a link to a user page into a red link is a little strange for 2 reasons
- only the user themselves should be encouraged to create that page
- There are other reasons to visit a user page rather than edit (e.g. visit talk page)
Two potential solutions might be as follows:
- Make sure a blank user page is created on sign up for users
- Do not append action=edit to links to user namespace
In the mean time minerva skin has been using JS to redirect those links and rendering links to the normal user page, but this to me seems like a problem that should be addressed in core.
See also: T222911#5170902
Note links at top of page under actions in Minerva skin to key pages
Note how the editor obscures access to any other interface elements and prohibits discovering information about the user and exploring.