This task will track the decommission of rhenium.wikimedia.org
The first 5 steps should be completed by the service owner that is returning the server to DC-ops (for reclaim to spare or decommissioning, dependent on server configuration and age.)
Steps for service owner:
- - all system services confirmed offline from production use
- - set all icinga checks to maint mode/disabled while reclaim/decommmission takes place.
- - remove system from all lvs/pybal active configuration
- - any service group puppet/hiera/dsh config removed
- - remove site.pp, replace with role(spare::system)
- - unassign service owner from this task, check off completed steps, and assign to @RobH for followup on below steps.
Steps for DC-Ops:
The following steps cannot be interrupted, as it will leave the system in an unfinished state.
Start non-interrupt steps:
- - disable puppet on host
- - power down host
- - update netbox status to Decommissioning
- - disable switch port
- - switch port assignment noted on this task (for later removal) - asw2-a-eqiad:ge-4/0/17
- - remove all remaining puppet references (include role::spare) https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/525628
- - remove production dns entries https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/525627
- - puppet node clean, puppet node deactivate (handled by wmf-decommission-host)
- - remove dbmonitor entries on neodymium/sarin: sudo curl -X DELETE https://debmonitor.discovery.wmnet/hosts/restbase1007.eqiad.wmnet --cert /etc/debmonitor/ssl/cert.pem --key /etc/debmonitor/ssl/server.key (handled by wmf-decommission-host)
End non-interrupt steps.
- - system disks wiped (by onsite)
- - IF DECOM: system unracked and decommissioned (by onsite), update netbox with result and change status of hardware to 'offline' when unracked.
- - IF DECOM: switch port configration removed from switch once system is unracked.
- - IF DECOM: add system to decommission tracking google sheet
- - IF DECOM: mgmt dns entries removed.