The analysis of current tools used to greet newcomers surfaced how the existing "Welcome" echo notification could also be improved to drive more users in out treatment groups to the Homepage right after account creation.
Possible specifications for the intervention on the "Welcome" echo notification have been outlined already, and would mostly involve copy changes:
- Header text: "Welcome to Wikipedia, [username]! We're glad you're here."
- Body text: "Looking for a way to get started? Click on [username] to visit your homepage."
- [username] will be preceded by the user avatar icon (in-line).
- [username] should never be hyphenated.
- The notification will be displayed, no matter the context of origin and the destination, right after account creation.
- The notification will de displayed on both desktop and mobile, for both Js-enabled and noJs users
Some questions need to be answered before we consider moving further with those changes:
- Is the "Welcome to Wikipedia" notification something that we configure? Or that wikis configure?
- Do all wikis have it?