- Name of project: Machine vision
- Project home page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Product/Machine_vision_middleware
- Name of team which owns the project: Product Infrastructure
- Primary contact for the project: Michael Holloway (IRC: mdholloway)
- Target date for deployment: October 9, 2019
- Link to code repository: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/mediawiki/extensions/MachineVision
- Is this a brand-new project: Yes
- Has this project ever been reviewed before: (Phab tasks, etc.): Yes, see T227591: Security Concept Review for the machine vision middleware project
- Has any risk assessment (STRIDE, etc.) been performed: Yes, assessed as low risk in the security concept review.
- Is there an existing RFC or has this been presented to the community: No
- Is this project tied to a team quarterly goal: Yes
Description of the project and how it will be used
This is a project to support the incorporation of machine vision (MV) generated metadata into Foundation products. Specifically, the project will support:
- Requesting MV-generated image metadata from machine vision providers (internal and/or external) and storing results
- Serving MV data to Commons users for verification and promotion to Structured Data on Commons
For full discussion, see the project page at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Product/Machine_vision_middleware.
Description of any sensitive data to be collected or exposed
MediaWiki, Wikibase, PHP, MySQL
Dependencies and vendor code
- Google Cloud Vision official PHP client library: https://github.com/googleapis/google-cloud-php-vision
- Note: Google Cloud Vision is currently only tentatively to be a machine vision provider.
Working test environment
- The extension is currently live on Beta Commons; see https://commons.wikimedia.beta.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:MachineAidedTagging
- A local testing environment can be set up in MediaWiki-Vagant (via the machinevision role) or in an experimental Docker environment. Please see the project README and contact Michael Holloway (IRC: mdholloway) with questions.
The extension will be maintained primarily by Product Infrastructure, with secondary support from the Structured Data team, particularly for Wikibase and frontend JS issues.