The Growth team is exploring creating a "Newcomer homepage" as the landing page for New Editors.
Goal of the comparative review
Part 1. Review relevant Wikimedia task recommendation-type tools and initiatives, such as:
- Wikipedia Android's Suggested Edits Feed
- WikiEdu / Outreach dashboard
- Content Translation
- The Wikidata game
- Citation hunter
- Maintenance task lists in French Wikipedia (within a Help page) - Aide:Que faire sur Wikipédia?
- Maintenance task lists in Korean Wikipedia (community page) - 위키백과:사용자 모임/자동목록
Part 2. Review of external products
Review personal user pages and dashboards on comparable task completion products.
- Aspects of the review:
- Where and how are tasks offered in the product? (E.g., Is there a separate product like Google Crowdsource and Translate Facebook which has a central dashboard/feed of tasks, or is it part of an existing product like contributions in Google Maps?)
- Characteristics of tasks offered? E.g., review/verify information, ratings, writing content, etc.
- What incentivizing features are there? E.g., Activity feed, Rewards, Ranking, More administrative powers, etc...
- Level of personalized/customized suggestions?
- Visual design
- Mobile vs Desktop versions of a product
Starter list of products to review:
- Google Crowdsource
- Translate Facebook
- Foursquare's "Superuser Tools" console
- Google Maps "Local contributors"
- Google Translate Community
- Amazon Mechanical Turk
Note that this is based on a review of predominantly English-language sites and projects.