The Research team will have 4 representatives during Wikimania 2019. This task captures the planning of activities for the team pre/during/post Wikimania.
Why are we attending Wikimania?
In no specific order:
- To learn about ongoing or new community initiatives.
- To build stronger connections with the community of volunteers, affiliates, user groups, and chapters.
- To learn about the needs of the communities and turn them to research questions when relevant.
- To help address community's research needs on-the-spot (especially through Wikimedia hackathon)
- To share updates about Research's learnings and technologies built since last Wikimania.
What will we do while in Wikimania?
We will expand the following table by the end of 2019-08-05.
|Date||Event||Lead||Team members to attend||Goal|
|2019-08-14||Hackathon||?||All||A 1-1.5min pitch at the beginning of the hackathon to let the attendees know what they should expect from the Research table.|
|2019-0814 or 15||Introduction to cross-lingual word-embeddings at Wikimania 2019 (T230059)||Diego||Interest based||A session following these guidelines|
|2019-08-14||Hackathon||All||Mini-projects that attendees can do with us; Answer research questions that attendees may have T230417|
|2019-08-15||Hackathon||All||Mini-projects that attendees can do with us; Answer research questions that attendees may have|
|2019-08-16||Tutorial||Miriam||Teach basic notions of image classification, and showing some tools to apply them to images in Wikimedia.|
|2019-08-17||Research Talks||Diego||Discuss the role of Wikimedia projects on the AI environment|
|2019-08-17||Research Talk||Miriam||Show results about the "Characterizing Wikipedia Citation Usage" project|
|2019-08-17||Research Talk||Isaac||Report results of demographics surveys|
|2019-08-17||Lightning talk||Diego||Introducing our research in disinformation|
|2019-08-16 16:00-17:20||Research+Chapter+User-Groups+Affiliates meet-up||Leila||All||build stronger relationships with these groups; understand their challenges; and identify opportunities to help; raise awareness about the work we do.|
|2019-08-17||Presentations||by others||All (sign up)||To learn about the needs of the communities and turn them to research questions when relevant.|
|2019-08-18||Meet-up (disinformation)||Leila||to get a pulse of the current state of conversations|
Reading material to prepare for the trip
- Risker suggested that we read the results of a survey carried out by the Roles and Responsibilities strategy working group.