The users can display scanned maps, such as historical maps as overlay in the main map (maybe on other maps as well). Which sources will be supported, how to add new sources, what can the users do with the map?
Sources for map tiles
- Wikimaps Warper http://warper.wmflabs.org/api/v1/
- NLS Historic Maps API https://maps.nls.uk/projects/api/
- NYPL MapWarper
- Helsinki GeoServer https://geoserver.hel.fi/geoserver/web/
- Wikimaps can have an inbuilt georectification tool. There is a mockup for that at https://wikidocumentaries.wmflabs.org/wiki/Rectifying_maps
User interface for scanned map layers
- UI for selecting the map layers has been drafted in https://wikidocumentaries.wmflabs.org/wiki/Map
- Map discovery UI design similar to images: Similar design for grid, similar menus for actions, display in the ImageViewer but with map tools. Upload similarly to Wikimedia Commons. Can be part of the images component with faceting for maps or a separate one.