Two of the largest engineering challenges with the newcomer tasks project are:
- Which kinds of tasks to recommend and how to find them?
- How to align the articles with the newcomer's interests?
This task is about some initial technical investigations around the second challenge of aligning the articles to a newcomer's interests. We should keep in mind that our goal with the initial version of the feature is to have task recommendations, but they may not be the most refined or accessible tasks -- that will come in later versions. What we want to figure out is:
- Which of the potential approaches to matching tasks looks most promising for an initial version?
- Do any of the approaches look most technically in reach?
- What kind of work would we expect to do for the different approaches?
- What potential technical issues or risks should we look out for?
- Any other thoughts, engineering or otherwise.
The full details are in this section of our planning document. Here is the summary:
- After conversations with @Catrope, @nettrom_WMF, @leila, @MMiller_WMF, and @Halfak, we made a list of potential approaches.
- @MMiller_WMF grouped them into some categories.
- Now we want to look at the different approaches and evaluate which to pursue.
The results of this investigation should go into the Google Doc.