We have this long time project idea of writing a tool that would parse providers' maintenance emails and automatically update a database.
- to reduce clinic-duty toil - https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/SRE_Clinic_Duty#Maintain_the_'maint-announce'_mails_and_calendar
- and thus reduce the risk of missed maintenance
- give better visibility on said maintenance, (for example IRC notification when a maintenance is about to start)
- longer term, alerting if redundant links have maintenance overlap
- longer term as well, automatic draining of links about to go on maintenance
I came across https://github.com/wasabi222/janitor which is still in an early stage but looks quite promising.
Some requirements it would need to be worth deploying in production:
- Google group integration (or create a dummy email account just for that)
- .ical feed
- reduce the amount of parsing failures for currently supported providers
Nice to have:
- Support all our providers (so far they support NTT, GTT, Zayo, and Telia seems to be work in progress)
- IRC notifications
- Netbox integration for circuits lookup