We currently have:
- Some text files in docs/ in the mediawiki-core repo that are only readable through Git file browsers which is fine for core patch contributors but not very discoverable or user friendly for extension developers and site admins (not versioned by MW release, not easily browsable or linkable from elsewhere).
- Some markdown files in various places, also Git-only.
- One markdown "Doxygen page" generated by a dummy PHP file (docs/doxygen_first_page.php). This is readable from https://doc.wikimedia.org.
After chatting with @apaskulin we decided to explore a bit into the direction of Doxygen pages, at least for the documentation we already have in Git, to make it easier to find and maintain.
I researched this before for ResourceLoader and for Hooks documentation pages, but never finished it. For this task, I'll try to dig up those past attempts and deliver the following:
- Figure out a way to generate "Doxygen pages" from real Markdown files without having to put them inside a dummy PHP file with a big doc block.
- Index one other markdown files as example.
Convert one text file to markdown as example and link to it from another one.Continues at T233244.