Page MenuHomePhabricator

Convert plain text files in MediaWiki core in /doc to Markdown format
Open, MediumPublic

Description

Context

The /docs directory in MediaWiki core contains various documentation files in plain text (.txt) format. Since Doxygen doesn't index txt files, these docs aren't included in the generated documentation, making them difficult to access. Following the implementation of T232104, Doxygen now indexes files in Markdown format, allowing us to pull these docs into https://doc.wikimedia.org by converting them to Markdown. See the discussion in T111298.

To do

Convert the following files from .txt to .md, adding level 1 page titles and adjusting formatting to comply with Doxygen-supported Markdown:

Resources

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptSep 18 2019, 5:52 PM

I wonder if this could be chunked into Google-Code-in-2019 tasks so students could work on this (if this is not super-urgent)?

Anomie added a subscriber: Anomie.Sep 18 2019, 6:30 PM

Too bad Doxygen doesn't use wikitext ;)

Too bad Doxygen doesn't use wikitext ;)

Agreed!

I wonder if this could be chunked into Google-Code-in-2019 tasks so students could work on this (if this is not super-urgent)?

Works for me! Let me know what I can do to support.

apaskulin triaged this task as Low priority.Sep 18 2019, 10:59 PM
Peachey88 updated the task description. (Show Details)Sep 19 2019, 9:04 AM
apaskulin raised the priority of this task from Low to Medium.Sep 24 2019, 7:28 PM
apaskulin edited projects, added Google-Code-in-2019; removed Core Platform Team.

I will mentor this task for Google-Code-in-2019.

apaskulin removed apaskulin as the assignee of this task.Sep 26 2019, 4:55 PM
Florian added a subscriber: Florian.Nov 3 2019, 8:56 PM

Would it make sense to reduce the scope of the GCI task to convert a single txt file to markdown, instead of expecting that one student is converting all of them? :)

Would it make sense to reduce the scope of the GCI task to convert a single txt file to markdown, instead of expecting that one student is converting all of them? :)

That's certainly a good idea.

apaskulin updated the task description. (Show Details)Nov 5 2019, 9:54 PM
apaskulin claimed this task.Nov 5 2019, 9:56 PM

I've updated the task description to be more specific and reflect a similar amount of work to the examples listed here.

Krinkle updated the task description. (Show Details)Nov 5 2019, 11:56 PM

I've made the links permalinks so that they will keep working even after the files are removed/renamed in the future. This is a bit tricky to do in Phabricator but is possible. It is a bit easier with Gitiles and GitHub urls where one can replace "master" with that of a specific commit (e.g. the current last commit).

apaskulin removed apaskulin as the assignee of this task.Nov 6 2019, 12:05 AM
Aklapper renamed this task from Convert MediaWiki core files in /doc to Markdown to Convert plain text files in MediaWiki core in /doc to Markdown format.EditedSat, Nov 23, 12:26 PM
Aklapper updated the task description. (Show Details)

(I took the liberty to split this into 7 GCI tasks on the GCI website, a 2 files each. Not all tasks are "published" yet.)

Change 554261 had a related patch set uploaded (by Majavah; owner: Majavah):
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Convert docs/language.txt and docs/injection.md to Markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/554261

Majavah moved this task from Backlog to In review on the User-Majavah board.Tue, Dec 3, 1:09 PM

Change 554261 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Convert docs/language.txt and docs/injection.md to Markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/554261

Majavah updated the task description. (Show Details)Wed, Dec 4, 6:26 AM
Majavah added a subscriber: Majavah.

Change 554600 had a related patch set uploaded (by Arcayn; owner: Arcayn):
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Change docs/contenthandler.txt and docs/database.txt to markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/554600

Change 554393 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Convert logger.txt and linkcache.txt to Markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/554393

Change 554600 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Change docs/contenthandler.txt and docs/database.txt to markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/554600

Change 555594 had a related patch set uploaded (by Crutishnyk; owner: Crutishnyk):
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Update docs/schema.txt and docs/scripts.txt to markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/555594

Change 555607 had a related patch set uploaded (by Crutishnyk; owner: Crutishnyk):
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Update docs/schema.txt and docs/scripts.txt to markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/555607

Change 555594 abandoned by Crutishnyk:
docs: Update docs/schema.txt and docs/scripts.txt to markdown

Reason:
Merge conflict

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/555594

Change 555656 had a related patch set uploaded (by Crutishnyk; owner: Crutishnyk):
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Remove spaces from blank lines in docs/scripts.md

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/555656

Change 555607 abandoned by Crutishnyk:
docs: Update docs/schema.txt and docs/scripts.txt to markdown

Reason:
Merge conflict

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/555607

Change 555656 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Update docs/schema.txt and docs/scripts.txt to markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/555656

Change 555988 had a related patch set uploaded (by Alex Paskulin; owner: Alex Paskulin):
[mediawiki/core@master] docs: Fix link on intro page

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/555988

Change 556007 had a related patch set uploaded (by Majavah; owner: Majavah):
[mediawiki/core@master] Convert docs/skin.txt and docs/title.txt to Markdown

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/556007