We would like to learn more about search prior to making improvements
As a reader or editor of Wikipedia, I would like the desktop site to feature a more prominent search functionality, so that I can find it quicker
As a reader or editor of Wikipedia, I would like to receive photos and suggested articles while I search, so I can find the article that I'm looking for (desktop search acting like mobile search)
As a product team, we would like to measure the impact on search any changes we implement will have
Research the following questions and write up your results:
- What is the difference between the 4 different and known implementations of search:
- -- desktop jquery autocomplete (used by Vector,Monobook,Cologne Blue)
- mobilefrontend SearchOverlay (used by Minerva)
- portal (wikipedia.org)
- OOUI (used by Structured Data team and Visual Editor when adding links)
- What are the pros/cons and difficulty of creating yet another implementation of search.
- What is the relative difficulty and pros/cons of bringing search functionality from one implementation to another (from mobile to desktop, for example)
- What would it cost to make all the implementations look and function similarly?
- How are each of these instrumented?
- How difficult would it be to resurrect this instrumentation