As part of Section Translation (T243495), we want to support expanding existing articles by translating new sections. Although the final designs have not been finalized yet, for the step where users do the actual translation it makes sense to reuse the translation editor that Content translation provides, at least for desktop. This would extend Content translation editor with a mode similar to the "edit section" capabilities that wikitext or Visual editors have.
Currently, Content translation editor loads a complete article. This ticket proposes to extend its capabilities to be able to load a single section instead. For example, based on a url parameter it should be possible to load the History section of the Ukulele article.
Expanding Content translation editor with a "section" mode requires some considerations:
- The translation title. For this case both the article title (non-editable) and the section title (editable in the translation) will be shown.
- Publishing behaviour. Publishing will add the new section to the target article at the end of the document. This will be refined in follow-up tickets (adjusting the action and messaging to the circumstances).
- Section-translation Content published will include the "sectiontranslation" tag in addition to the usual "contenttranslation" one.
- Publish settings. We may need to initially remove the option to customize the target namespace when translating sections.
- Access through the URL. As a first step, the section mode will be accessible through a URL parameter. Once the overall workflow for section translation is specified, the UI supporting other steps (e.g., letting the user pick a section to translate) will connect to the current step without the need for manually creating a URL.
Apart from the differences noted, the translation workflow should work in the same way it does when a full article is translated.
Since some of the current limitations of the current database schema may apply, it may be good to keep the following tickets in mind:
- T86151: Allow different users to translate the same topic independently
- T192065: Starting a new translation is loading contents from a previously deleted one
More efficient loading of a single section may require support from the Parsing team, and will be explored in T237614: Explore ways to avoid loading the whole article when showing only one section