T231529: Understand current referencing behavior as baseline for ReferencePreviews introduces a new MediaWiki-ResourceLoader module. The Performance-Team asked us to avoid this. As far as I (@thiemowmde) understand the concern, it goes like this:
- The Cite extension is such an essential part of our Wikimedia infrastructure, we can think of it as being part of core. We do ship it everywhere.
- Same for Analytics-EventLogging.
- This means the logging code in Cite will be active everywhere.
- This means the fact it's a separate MediaWiki-ResourceLoader module is useless on our Wikimedia cluster.
- Merging it into another module get's rid of the few bytes that are needed to register the module.
- But we need to add more code to not activate any logging in case Analytics-EventLogging is not available.
The question we need to answer is: what is more costly (for us vs. for 3rd parties)?